Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Smoky Summer Night

Kam, our friend Barbara, and I had dinner on the balcony this evening.  The city has been very smoky for the past two days from forest fires burning, and the air is deemed "unhealthy."  This smoky atmosphere happened last year too, and a headline on the local paper suggested this might be the "norm" for Seattle summers now.  It makes for a pretty red sunset anyhow.

For dinner tonight we had hummus, tzatziki, feta cheese, olives, tomatoes, grilled sweet peppers, avocado, artichoke hearts, pita bread, and sparkling wine.

What we're reading:

I am reading a monograph on Joseph Urban, the art deco theater designer.
--Kam

 I am reading The Canon:  A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science by Natalie Angier.  The content is very interesting and it's a good review of information I vaguely remember from science classes - probability, statistics, the size of the universe, how electricity works  -- and I'm only a hundred pages of so into it, so much more to follow.  The weird thing is that Natalie Angier constantly makes corny jokes and puns, which I find a bit annoying and distracting.

I also read the last in the Rachel Cusk trilogy, Kudos.



No comments:

Post a Comment